No much of an update, really, except that to show that the little T-Trak layout is coming along, albeit slowly. I’ve had to shift gears for a few days to take care of some commitments with my band, but I should be able to get back to work in earnest on Sunday.
What I have been doing is laying in a supply of structure kits, mostly for the “non-industrial” sections of the layout so far. The idea is to create a “residential” area on the far side of the layout, with transitional areas on each end. The space between the front and rear modules allows for a parial view block to be installed to visually separate the scenes.
There are also now plans for a larger N-scale presence in the train room. The peninsula of the On30 layout has never been satisfactory to me, much as Kevin and I have tried to make it work. So, it’s going away. The idea now is that the On30 will run around the walls of the room, and a provision will be made for continuous running (maybe), while the N-scale will occupy a good-sized island — about 4′ x 13′ — in the middle of the room.
I finished up building the T-Trak module frames yesterday, and started finalizing the track layout. I decided that I wanted to not have any of the switching tracks spill over into the end-cap, which would necessitate having an extra module when the layout is included in group setups. The result is a shorter run-around, and a little trickier switchback operation. I’m thinking, at the moment, that I may permanently join the single and double modules on each side of the layout into triples, if for no other reason than to make a couple of cross-module joints a little more stable.
The tail of the switch back is long enough for a locomotive and a couple of cars, depending on the lengths. Right now, my one locomotive is a VO-1000, and all the cars are 40-foot cars. None of the track is currently “spiked” in place. One of the beauties of using the Kato track is that it holds together well enough to test fit and test run your track plan before committing too much.
I had a fun time switching the module, but I gotta tell you: those Micro-Trains couplers are tricky to “pick” with a skewer!